10.03.2009

Why I Will Not Be Getting the Flu Shot

Go ahead, gasp: but I will not, repeat not be getting the flu shot. Nor the H1N1 shot. Nor whatever next shot comes down the pike to stave off a viral illness that I or any member of my family may or may not happen to get.

In fact, I find it hard to believe that I might be the only one just a little bit stunned at the sudden urgency behind this whole flu-shot thing. Yes, I know about swine flu. In fact, I'm told that the other day 31 kids in my children's elementary school were absent with what may be swine flu. I hear it's running around the local college campus. Yet I still maintain that running off to get an injection of thimerosol loaded with a virus is probably not going to do one single thing for my health.

It troubles me that these flu shots are being made available for pregnant women, when there is mounting evidence that mercury-based thimerosol correlates with autism in children. As a mother of an autistic child, I really wouldn't dick with that. It troubles me that we're rushing to stick millions of people with a fresh-off-the-shelves vaccine that hasn't been around long enough to know potential long-term effects. It troubles me that we're vaccinating for a virus, when every eight-grader knows that viruses mutate. It troubles me that many of the people who get a flu shot seem to come down with the flu. And it troubles me that there is a growing community consensus that to refuse vaccination is irresponsible.

I'd like to suggest that there is another way to fight the flu: your immune system. Our family plan? Pro-active amounts of rest, fresh air, vitamins and fluids. I will be using the BodyTalk Access technique set liberally to keep our bodies balanced and our immune systems strong. And if any of us gets sick, then we'll ride it out. Like people do.

So if you too are refusing the flu shot, know you're not alone. There's at least one other renegade out there, taking on the virus straight-up. Vitamin C, anyone?

1 comment:

sarah said...

I'm with you. I've never had a flu shot, and I don't ever intend to get one. My immune system is pretty much always in high-alert anyway thanks to my allergies, so I am pretty sure that no virus, no matter how badass it might think itself, is going to get much of a hold.

But I agree about the rush: I know people who've had swine flu, and it doesn't seem all that bad. It's like regular flu, only no puking (a good thing in my book). But the media seems to act like it's a literal plague. I don't really get it.