3.26.2006

That Mighty Pen

Well, I've made an unpleasant discovery: keeping a weblog can have unintended consequences.

When I started this thing, I thought it would be neat to have the inner workings of my mind posted on the World Wide Web, and truthfully, it has been; but sometimes words wriggle away and shoot off in unexpected directions, and with the Internet, that happens exponentially.

What happened was this: while I was back in Massachusetts, I visited some friends, but not all of them. Then I hopped on to Wordsandwich and waxed poetic about my fabulous trip, never putting together that the friends I did not see in my old stomping grounds might read about it on my weblog. As you can see, I am new to blogging.

So, my first case of hate mail. It hurt the hell out of me. It's exactly what frightens me about writing--once your thoughts are out there, they're like teenagers with new driver's licenses, liable to go where they shouldn't and sometimes to crash. Just by tapping on my keyboard, I wounded somebody, and that's hard to live with.

But damn it, I'm back. In the future, I'll be more aware, but I won't be any less truthful.

No comments: